Sunday, October 30, 2005

Mugs

Mugs

Wednesday night on the way to MEW accountability I found myself at an introduction concert for the campus gospel singers. I have to admit I didn’t want to be there and had not seen this group “perform” in years.

They were amazing well directed great sound enthusiastic and just down right joyful and the soloist just down right rocked! Pretty sure the lights could have been off and we would have seen little lights oozing from the choirs pores.

Ok, forgive the sarcasm

As I watched and listened I was lifted up, it was contagious unfortunately I was a little embarrassed by this because you see I’m just too cool for my own faith sometimes.

I started looking around the room at people some whom I know, there were acquaintances and friends Christian and non Christian, a couple who have no belief system I am aware of, a man I know casually from the hospital - he might be Jewish I think I recall him in a yamaka one Friday night?

The audience all grinned ear to ear clapping their hands some were even dancing when we were asked to stand. It began slowly I couldn’t resist a closed mouth smile then before I new what was happening I was jubilant! I couldn’t stop myself the joy was so contagious the music so compelling I had to feel good I had to LOL I had to clap my hands and let the goodness of it all vibrate into my soul.

By the end of the event we joked with friends and expressed our need to find a gospel church to go to occasionally to get a fun playful joy fix. But then a little inkling a whisper piped into my mind and reminded me that I’m just too cool for that sort of thing. I mean why would I lower myself to expressing joy openly without shame someone might confuse me with the Biblical description of a……….. Christian!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to get a taste of, what sounds like, true Christianity. It's joyful and real, with its hope set on Jesus. He's the only perfect one and I'll be the first to say I'm not. Many times I'm a big ol hypocrite and I hate that. I hate that people might not choose Jesus because they see me. If you've not given Him a chance before, I'd encourage you--He's pretty life-changing.