Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Chester A Garfield Sharp Aug 24 1925 - May 22 1985

The following pictures are of my dad who would have turned 79 today, it is hard for me to imagine my father being this age he was very youthful like my mom who is turning 75 and seems like she is 50 something. The photos are a priceless gift given to me many years ago by my aunt who has since passed away. I treasure the few I have of my father as a young man and pray one day I will have more.

My dad was goofy, told corny jokes, and gave great bear hugs, loved kids was sacrificial, played Hymns and Blue Grass on the mandolin and mumbled when he sang even though he had a nice voice. He embarrassed me on a regular basis loved Jesus and would spend many late nights reading the Bible. He liked to push my buttons about the KJB - he being a die hard Baptist did not like his daughter reading the other not nearly as accurate versions - I am sure he had a serious talk with God when I gave my first sermon the year after he died! LOL

he died several hours after talking to me on the phone, our ritual- I would close by saying "bye daddy I love you" and he would say "I do you too" classic response :) the day he died he never gave me a chance to say it, he told me he loved me and as I handed the phone to my mom I LOL and she teased him about it, those were the last words my dad said to me I am thankful for that.

The grief has changed over the years it is bitter sweet now filled with thanksgiving that he is not in pain or miserable because he had to retire so young. He is also free from the travesties of this world like 911 and the current war. He would have a few choice words to say about how women dress today and would probably whoop my butt for even watching extreme makeover even though I am 40! :)

We were making the transition from father daughter to father daughter and friends the year he died; I still think of him every day and miss him terribly....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Virgi,
Your dad is really handsome. We should hang out soon together.

-amanda

Anonymous said...

Vir,
I love the pics! It's good that you have such fond memories of your dad. :) Thanks for sharing.

Love you lots!
Kimmy

Anonymous said...

Hi Vir,

Jim here. I loved seeing the pictures of your Dad. I never got to meet him. I had also never heard you tell about his last words to you. Wow - really powerful, and it hit home with me. I think I told you that one of the last things Mom said to me was that she loved me with her entire soul. Precious to reflect back on, isn't it? It's hard to believe he would be 80 next year, and that your Mom will be 75.

I keep praying about your case. Let me know what happens. These things take on a life of their own, don't they. I remember my uncle telling me that when I first started practicing law.

I look forward to seeing you and your Mom this October when I'm up in Oxford for my (gasp!) 20th H.S. reunion!

Love,

Jim