Sunday, August 28, 2005

Access Rant!

This town so sux if you have a disability helped mom get to church this morning can’t count the number or cars sitting across driveways that she had to maneuver around and cars parked diagonally sticking 2-4 foot out in the street ~ if students don’t know how to drive or park send their cars home!

Most of the grated curbs in town are a mess I had to get her unstuck from an “ADA” ramp and she has 4in clearance with her new ride. I expect problems with trash usually beer cans when student are back, I expect a few buckling sidewalks around overgrown trees.

I suppose I thought Miami’s curbs would be better due to all their endowments for every cause in the universe but no it was almost as bad. The shame is mom could have driven herself and felt more independent and been safer if our society cared to think of something other then their selves.

I have a proposal every person in government including all university big dog’s around the world. Should be requires to spend a week (big gov. need a month!) in a wheelchair using public transportation and sidewalks ~ I give them all less then a day and they would be crying for change.

I wish I could do something, I know its expensive but I also know if a town is not too lazy they can get CDBG grants for ADA needs. So I complain and pray and maybe I will scream a little might make me feel better!

4 comments:

Ann said...

Cincy's no better- some places are great and some suck- about a year ago I tried to help a man get into his van in a handicapped spot- it wasn't big enough for both him and his van. The man was a very, very, very, I mean VERY large man and he couldn't walk but 2 or 3 feet at a time. I tried to back his van out but couldn't over a bump- and I wasn't familiar enough with his van to chance revving it up to get over the bump- finally another woman with more van driving experience got it out for him. Then he had to walk about 8 feet in order to get up into his van, which totally wiped him out. I think he must have been 600 lbs. plus knees that were not working. But very congenial, nice man.
:)

vir said...

That's so sad, i hope he can get the help he needs and not just access ~ i just canot imagine....

I saw a special on PBS for an ADA rally in Washington one of the leaders and key speakers was late due to access issues in DC - he almost didn't make it!

Thirty Days so needs to tackle this one!

gotta run to house churchy - miss you....

Ann said...

I thought of your mom watching them rescuing (in some cases recovering) people in New Orleans. Before the storm everyone was advised to get out, get out, get out. I KNEW that not everyone who wanted to, could get out.
Some people stayed when they shouldn't have but I think a huge percentage of those trapped are people like your mom, except they were alone- with no money, vehicle, or physical ability to leave. I just knew that there would be people who couldn't walk, who were bedridden and depended on a nurse visit a couple of times a week, people who were too big or paralyzed or amputees...and while I watch the coverage I see I was right- a lot of those being rescued just could NOT get out even to go to that stadium. There needs to be a system of complete and accurate accountability in case of disasters like this. Not to say a lot of people aren't doing their best. Warnings sure are a lot better than in the tsunami. But warning people is one thing- helping them to leave is another. I mean who is responsible for these people? we are--

vir said...

Ann,

you have such a good heart! its so hard to think about the people who are alone or abandoned its easy to forget because they are not family but you are right they are our responsibility and from a spiritual perspective they are our family!

that's the very thing Christ came to teach our house church has been discussing Math 23 (i think that's right) the two greatest commandments.

love the lord your God and Love your neighbor as yourself. Christ came to teach being a loving community....

all we can do is pray and hope for the best because we cannot be there and then when we see someone as you did in Cinti take the time to help or try to find someone who can....

it grieves me to think of everyone effected by the hurricane especially all the elderly disabled and even the animals. i am so very thankful the hurricane was down graded but still.....

check out the link on my site to Munkbites glen has some info and pics you will get into as a weather buff..